RE: [mdt-ocl.dev] MDT-OCL project organisation for add-ons (editor etc)

Hi Ed,

QVTO supports a feature-rich IDE without utilizing IMP so another option is not to use it at all. I would at first compare the two approaches:

1. Editor with IMP. Since I am not acquainted with IMP I would like to ask several questions.

	Which features does IMP provide (code completion, outline view support, quick outline, hyperlinks, etc.)?
	How easy/quick is it to develop an OCL editor with IMP? Can it be applied in real-life language editors?
	Is IMP easily customizable/extendible? What if we want to add a new action/button/view/etc. to the editor?
	Are there any limitations/annoying bugs in IMP-based editors? It is often easier to fix a proprietary bug rather than work around some problem of an external system you depend on.
	What about performance? Is the response of the editor, code completion, etc. quick enough to satisfy users on real-life models/scripts?
	What is the size of the IMP runtime?
	Is the IMP project viable? Is it actively developed and what are its future plans?
	Does IMP require LPG2-based grammar? AFAIK, it doesn't but I would like to be sure about that.

AFAIU, we already have a success story of adoption of IMP in QVTR which is a plus to IMP-based approach. However, AFAIK, IMP is in incubation state by now which is a minus.

2. Editor without IMP. Creation of the OCL editor from scratch would be too daunting. However, we can clone the QVTO editor and change it so that it supports OCL. Currently, the QVTO editor supports syntax hightlighting, code completion and hyperlinks. The Outline View support is also avalable. Although currently it is hard to estimate efforts to implement this approach, I think it would take me about 3 weeks to do this.

I am not inclined to choose any approach yet - I need to find out more on IMP. Ed, maybe you would recommend some good links to quickly get started with it?

Cheers,
- Alex.