[mddi-dev] How to manage a tool description file that reference external metamodels.

Hello Chris,
Thank you very much for your feed back.
Please see below for our suggestion for the problem resolution.

Some tool integrators experience a dangling link problem when registering a tool description that references an external metamodel.

Concretely, such a tool description contains a HREF refering to another XMI file that contains the metamodel.
For example  :

<content name="ModelclassSpec2" lower="1" upper="-1">
 <metaClass href=""/>
</content>

ModelBus can use the default EMF mechanism for resolving this HREF.
This mechanism supports
1) the absulute HREF, similar to the presented example
2) the relative HREF, relative to the execution path of the JVM.

We suggest that the tool integrators use the absolute path style because the JVM maybe executed in different locations each time.

The dangling link problem occurs when the HREF is not valid.
Consequently, ModelBus can not completely load the tool description in order to send to the Registry.

To help tool integrators avoid this problem, we have developped a tool for checking the HREFs in a tool description.
(In fact, this tool can check HREFs in any XMI file)

This tool is one Java file (with main methode). It is available in the CVS repository, project org.eclipse.mddi.modelbus.adapter.test.

In order to use this tool, execute the java file (with the same classpath libraries as the adapter)

java org.eclipse.mddi.modelbus.adapter.test.model.LinkTester [your XMI file]

This tool will report whether the XMI file contains dangling HREFs.

Can you use this tool to check you tool description?
If the HREFs are found, then  please try to correct them and recheck.

If the tool description file passes the checking but ModelBus still generates error when registering the tool,
then please send us the tool description file with metamodels and error logs, so that we can try analyse them

Best regards,
Prawee SRIPLAKICH
LIP6 - Université Pierre et Marie Curie
Office C1133
8, rue du Capitaine Scott, 75015 Paris - France
Tel:   +33 (0) 1 44 27 88 61
Fax : +33 (0) 1 44 27 87 71

http://www-src.lip6.fr/homepages/Prawee.Sriplakich/