Re: [maynstall-dev] Update site processor

Pascal,

Given our experiences with ripping out the data from update sites, it can sometimes be a slow process even with efficient mirror selection and multi-threaded downloading. I assume you are concerned about the issue of proper dependency resolution at install time. Our experiences show so far that for users with high bandwidth, this is not normally an issue, but clearly there are many users with low bandwidth and high latency, for these users, doing the equivalent of a metadata generation on the full IUs prior to actually having downloaded the software at the p2 install stage (not gather) but by then my understanding was that by then the dependency resolution had pretty much already occurred.

The problematic issue is update sites that have a full history of all releases regardless of available bandwidth. We've run across a number of these and it can be a tedious process waiting for the meta extraction from hundreds of plugins (due to the dozens of versions on the site) from a slow update site that has no available mirrors. Even for high bandwidth users, this can be tedious.

Overall I'm not sure what I would recommend, but it's probably going to be difficult to assume you can get the meta data of all the IUs on an update site if it hasn't already been optimized for p2 unless you are willing to take a pretty big performance hit from what people expect today.

Tim