[mat-dev] Memory Analyzer 1.15.0
  • From: Andrew Johnson <andrew_johnson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:11:32 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=uk.ibm.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=uk.ibm.com; dkim=pass header.d=uk.ibm.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=rnvMrVcMDiwuP1CrsW0oVjVNtNFsRfyT7x9VRiAQIoM=; b=g2frKfTcYefRsAz1iiEENcKSI/NBWeseB9EYHZjlEqB4mlM93g2RzfNo130/AW3ql6qK8+zwquKUaEcG3DbYed98ObMQJCR+MP/fU9rqeQPKSHgMUcKd84uWa9OstSosYvvzpqPDy/Mca5Ll71EHxxJKlT/xlpwzNgQSkJTHdIsJcFF4vKA8zbHTW2HVDPcOgcdYtjRGUhzGuPFA7n9qLwzU+wLYijqlYcncTkX1TU0jNpYrU2EKBPJdul6Mq5dQYUTCu8aocRGqsVwUU+/gIx+phfg+Nz3s/OPKeyzSc6Q4bEojcPSPmA9kuJR4XShtoBC+iDkP7BpVwvqFj8dV/w==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=c96u+OVFkUi6fYmesDxGFhHPsw6cDKFs1L2UKZCax/AqI9vM2Oz/mNYShFyejefsNql72H9jm3ePIksMesDQmu9hOBCCfDOWjJtr2UopS1HKx8re6KtsjPjUqCOhRuVlwpJ22ggmAp0JEpbZMlPR3eIgyrNxTFzrZEiPFo2glDQN9ehxKmofXGWOmjj4MiWwH1pt6h4HaS87LJhfePp3b6olIWkaUR/F8BllIH7QuFk7jhiyP9erJlYCDX7oPqhpoFRImjk3eXHEDBv1LyGivTV4SNCCuDcVNy2g6lcGsvay4bbNDNLznnlveVn2Bkfm5gpN/XqTEA7MKlkUB4RrtA==

I think we should plan for a new release of Memory Analyzer.

There is a placeholder target field 1.15.0 for Git which I have used for some of the current defect / features.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=Tools&list_id=21370820&product=MAT&query_format=advanced&target_milestone=1.15.0

The full unresolved bug and enhancement list is:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced;order=Importance;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;bug_status=NEW;bug_status=ASSIGNED;bug_status=REOPENED;product=MAT

I was thinking of December 2023, to coincide with SimRel 2023-12. Does that give enough time for us, and is that soon enough for users?

Other things to do might be:

  1. Check how MAT works with Java 21 (LTS), from OpenJDK, Temurin and Semeru (when available), for running with, and analysing dumps from.
  2. Check we are up to date on dependencies, to avoid security warnings.
  3. Write a release record at the project page. https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.mat
  4. Follow https://wiki.eclipse.org/MemoryAnalyzer/Contributor_Reference#New_version_development_process
  5. Follow https://wiki.eclipse.org/MemoryAnalyzer/Contributor_Reference#Simultaneous_release_policies

I know that no one is working full time on the project – but how and for what can we encourage help from others?

  1. Documentation – it’s in DITA which might be a bit unclear but is sort of like HTML.
    1. Do we need an explanation and images of all the views?
    2. The acquiring a heap dump section needs updates for more recent version of Java.
  2. Build – is there a Tycho / Maven person who could review our build process? Can we get a dependency check for vulnerabilities, or a software bill of materials?
  3. Translations – does anyone want MAT translated to another language. MAT is enabled, and translations updates can be made via https://babel.eclipse.org/ and the results can be installed into MAT. However, all the translations are incomplete, and the best, Japanese, is only 33% translated. We would need people fluent in the target language who also understand English and MAT well.
  4. Do we need an automated regression test build?
  5. Do we need an automated performance test build?
  6. Should we tag some bugs with keyword=’helpwanted’ ?
  7. How well do the ‘Leak Suspects’ and ‘Top Components’ reports work for users? Do they actually show the problems?
  8. Do we need a section on the website explaining how to help the project?

Thoughts, anyone,

Andrew Johnson

Unless otherwise stated above:

IBM United Kingdom Limited