[mat-dev] Question about initializing a shared MAT installation

We have a shared MAT installation accessed through Citrix Windows machines. For example, let's say MAT is installed in T:\tools\MAT. This directory is not writeable by standard users. MAT is launched with a batch script like the following which specifies a workspace directory which is writable for that user:

"T:\tools\MAT\eclipsec.exe" -data "%APPDATA%\Memory Analyzer" -consoleLog -vmargs -Xms1g -Xmx32g

I maintain this tool installation through a git repository and what I've noticed is that when I update the tool, as I'm testing the new version, I notice that files are updated in the installation folder (this is after I've unzipped the MAT installation zip and committed it). For example:

Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
        modified:   latest/configuration/org.eclipse.update/platform.xml

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
        latest/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/151/
        latest/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/164/0/.cp/META-INF/icons/array_fill.gif
[...]

I noticed that these changes are lazily updated depending on which MAT functions are exercised.

The issue is that when users are running the tool in the shared environment, the configuration directory cannot be modified by the user.

I don't know what the potential issues there could be if there are some files MAT wants to write into this configuration directory and it fails. I haven't observed anything yet but I don't know if it might cause some issues.

Are there any recommendations around this? For example, should I exercise a set of specific functions to generate all of these files before checking them into the shared environment, or is there a way to specify an alternative OSGi configuration directory location that would be per-user and would that be recommended?

Kevin Grigorenko
IBM App Platform SWAT

Back to the top