Re: [mat-dev] How can we open huge heap dump having more than 2, 147, 483, 639 objects

Roy,

We have not done any work on increasing the limit on the number of objects MAT can handle. We do not have a workaround either. I don't know what the limits are for other memory analysis programs.

It might be possible to write a utility which reads a HPROF file, discards some objects and writes the remainder to a new file, but the result would be misleading unless there was some clever processing to decide  which objects to discard. There is HPROF reading and writing code in the org.eclipse.mat.hprof plugin which might help writing such a utility.

Raising the MAT object limit sounds a big project - my first guess before even designing an approach would be 3 months of developers time, and unfortunately my day job is not working on MAT. When I've finished on integrating parallel parsing improvements (bug 272324)  I'll think about it some more, but I don't see myself having the time to implement it. How many people hit the 2^31 object limit? Would 2^32 objects be enough or does it need to be more?

Andrew

Unless stated otherwise above: