Re: [mat-dev] Memory Analyzer and 32-bit Linux

ср, 18 июл. 2018 г. в 13:15, Andrew Johnson <andrew_johnson@xxxxxxxxxx>:
It looks like there are plans to drop 32-bit Linux Eclipse builds in
Eclipse 4.9 or 4.10:
https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg15752.html

As Memory Analyzer standalone RCP is built using Eclipse RCP we would lose
32-bit Linux versions of Memory Analyzer once we moved up to that level of
Eclipse RCP.

The current downloads numbers show that is it not that popular (7% of the
Linux Intel numbers).
  82 Memory Analyzer 1.8 Linux (x86/GTK+)
1122 Memory Analyzer 1.8 Linux (x86_64/GTK+)

Will removing the 32-bit Linux version be a problem for users?
Hi, Andrew!
I think if 64-bit MAT could open .hprof taken from 32-bit java without issues - there will be no problems for end-users.
Can anyone not use the 64-bit version?
It is hard to imagine if it won't be that.
32-bit OS (usually) is limited with 4GiB of RAM.
If so, then you might need to help
support the 32-bit Linux version of Eclipse, as no one else wants to do
it.

Perhaps we should list the 64-bit versions first.
Yep, also this change should be explicitly announced on a download web-page.
With BIG red letters.
With invitation to discuss such changes in a mailing list.
Early announcing this change on a web-page might give a chance to get understanding of "who the hell need 32-bit versions today?". :)
Also, maybe users doesn't understand that 64-bit Eclipse (MAT) can work with 32-bit-jvm dumps.

Back to the top