[mat-dev] Contributing a query or an idea

Dear MAT team,

First of all, thank you for the great product you have built.

I have recently had a task to compare two deeply nested structures in
memory of java application. While it was easy for me to locate the
root instances of both nested structures with OQL, navigating between
their children back and forth and manually comparing member fields was
a pain.

So I wrote a query to produce a textual description of an object
instance in the heap dump. It recursively saves all the references and
their fields up to the specified depth.

The goal is to use off the shelf diff programs to compare the two
textual output at the end.

I think this query may be handy for general public as well. Which
brings me to my question.

The code to recursively write object details to a file is fairly
trivial. Would you prefer me to finish the code and contribute it via
Gerrit process? Or would you prefer to take what I have as an idea
outline and implement it in an Eclipse way?

Current code does some basic formatting, but I did not focus on it too much.

Here is the gist on github:
https://gist.github.com/voronaam/0747c013895d0191e8f2

Faithfully,
 Aleksey