[mat-dev] Extending MAT to non-Java languages

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any interest in expanding MAT beyond Java to other languages?

I've been experimenting with writing a parser to enable heap dumps from the v8 _javascript_ engine to be opened in MA.

The heap dump format for v8 is actually pretty straight forward so it's been fairly easy to get something that's functional if not quite correct. There's rather a lot of differences between Java and _javascript_, especially in terms of the memory model. Objects and classes are different (or missing), basic types are different, there's no concept of class loaders and so on... (At the moment my parser fakes that information up which works but makes for a misleading view of the dump in the GUI.)

I've mostly only looked at the parsing side so far and really don't understand what would be involved on the GUI and Analysis side but before going too far down that road I wanted to know if it was something that had already been considered and this seemed like the right place to ask.

Thanks,

Howard Hellyer
J9 RAS Developer

Phone: 44-1962-819427