[mat-dev] MAT Argument Processing

Hey y'all, as part of bug #404679, I added in an HPROF preference page and support for -D parameters to change the behavior of the HPROF parser. The added UI plugin dependencies are optional but if headless mode is run without SWT/jface plugins, then a ClassNotFoundException will be thrown at runtime. The broader question is how best to process and coalesce preference choices and command line arguments. I propose a new extension point called something like argumentsProvider which will allow a plugin to register a callback which has a method that is called before processing the dump (e.g. ParseHeapDumpJob and ParseSnapshotApp) with a Map<String, String>. Then this map can be added to the SnapshotInfo so that lower code can query for arguments without any direct dependencies. With this design, then we can move the HPROF preferences into a new plugin which has an arguments provider. Any thoughts? Is this overengineering to use the plugin architecture for this?

--
Kevin Grigorenko
IBM WAS SWAT Team

Back to the top