RE: [mat-dev] Latest builds

Hi Andrew!

> Will the DTFJ Adapter be in a separate feature (as it has a dependency
on DTFJ) or is it part of the main MAT feature (which may be simpler for
users)?

W.r.t. to the DTFJ feature:

== RCP ==
If you download the latest RCP version (once it is uploaded) you will
see that it contains the DTFJ bundle right away. So the user simply has
to install the DTFJ API from Alphaworks and he has it up and running.

== Feature via Update site ==
However, we couldn't make it part of the main MAT feature. The reason is
this: Galileo checks that all bundles can be resolved from the Galileo
repository. But the DTFJ bundle cannot: it has an external dependency.

Even if it were part of the Galileo repository, one cannot install the
feature if one does not have the DTFJ update site configure in the path
at the same time. The p2 installer does not install things that cannot
be resolved.

So if one wants to install the DTFJ adapter into an IDE (not the RCP
version!), one has to download the DTFJ site, unpack it, configure it as
update site, then pick the "MAT-DTFJ bridge" and get it installed.

As an alternative, we considered making the dependencies in the bundle
optional. This in turn means, that the bundles needs to be activated
(e.g. class loaded) to find out whether DTFJ stuff can actually be
contributed. We decided against this, because it seemed quite a big
difference in the short time frame of the Galileo preparation.

Thinking about it now, do you think it would be possible to have the
DTFJ dependency optional and handle the ClassNotFound errors properly?

I'll update the mat.psf. It resides in the CVS repository.

Andreas.

Back to the top