Re: [m2m-iwg] Reminder: Eclipse IoT Project Leader Call

On 4/21/2014 9:58 AM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:
On 21/04/2014 12:17 PM, Scott Lewis wrote:
Please include ECF's OSGi remote services in the Iot Java plans.

Scott,

It would really help if there was an IoT-related example of ECF's OSGi remote services.

Remote services tutorials here [1]. Although not limited to the Iot use case, the tutorial 'time service' is indeed well-suited to small device/IoT usage.

And...there's also code for the use of the MQTT/Paho provider [2]...which allows the use of any remote service (including the time service tutorial)...with MQTT as transport...for the remoting/distribution of any service.

Is there an example of how to get it working on a Raspberry Pi or similar? Is there a document that describes the IoT use case?

No, not yet. Sounds like a great contribution for someone trying to promote IoT at EF.

Prior to Luna, I have plans to write another tutorial which shows the use of the existing example/tutorial time service with the MQTT provider provider. It would be nice...and very doable...to run things on Raspberry pi (host and/or consumer) for this tutorial, but I'm not sure if Concierge (or any OSGi framework) is yet fully running on Raspberry pi. If it is then wonderfull...it would/will be trivial to run a remote services on it as well...as ECF RS now runs on any R4.3+ compliant OSGi framework [2].

I am sure that it is obvious to you, but it is certainly not obvious to me how or why this ECF functionality should be part of our IoT story.

I suppose it is obvious to me, because OSGi Remote Services is about

1) Connectivity (aka messaging) between devices/things using the Internet
2) Services provided from one device/process to another
3) Use of standards/interoperability at multiple levels (protocols/connectivity...MQTT, COAP, etc, systems/frameworks [OSGi], services [Remote Services])

These are all things enabled by OSGi Remote Services...and ECF's implementation. Today.

It does seem strange to me that 1-3 would/could be seen as irrelevant to 'advanced connectivity of devices, systems, and services' [3].

Scott

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF#OSGi_Remote_Services
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/NewAndNoteworthy.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things