Re: [m2m-iwg] M2M Top-Level Project Charter Draft

Hi everybody,

I am not sure that I have read ALL the previous messages, but I am trying to add my point of view. I think we are thinking in a technology-driven scope, while the Eclipe IoT Charter should provide a clear vision that goes above the technology (as far as I get it).  The IoT is about data and how data is exchanged between the machines in order to provide services to the user, who does not care about how the data are transmitted as far as the service is reliable. We need the tools to build a world where everything is connected, but we should not limit our technology choices. We should avoid the 'not invented here' syndrome. We need to tackle the heterogeneity problem of the real world.

I would like to rephrase the overview as: Eclipse IoT aims to provide the means to build, setup and manage hardware-software entities, called "things" or "machines", that have the primary focus of gathering, processing, and reacting to real-world events. Eclipse IoT is the place where we build the "tools" for a connected world.

In the mission, we need to add a references to data (formats, semantics, units) to allow both user-facing and big data applications to be built on top of our work. Moreover, the IoT will also need some kind of metadata, in order to represent not only what the devices are exchanging but also the devices themselves. I perfectly know that this is inside "application management" or "device management", however these concepts need to be explicit. We can call them device 'profiles', if metadata is a too abstract concept.

BTW, my preference goes to the Eclipse IoT name. Boring and hyping.

Cheers,

Matteo

Back to the top