From: m2m-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:m2m-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Benjamin Cabé
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 2:11 AM
To: m2m Industry Working Group
Subject: Re: [m2m-iwg] TR : [core] CoAP tutorial

Mike,

M3DA and LWM2M basically serve similar purposes, in that they can both be used for Device Management _and_ Application data.

LWM2M comes from a Device Management history, and therefore has the
advantage of supporting well all the use cases that OMA-DM supports.
When it comes to Application Data, M3DA has been designed with M2M in mind right from the beginning, and brings a security model with a smaller footprint (CPU and bandwidth) and is more efficient in terms of bandwidth use thanks to the Bysant serialization protocol (LW suggests the use of binary TLV or JSON thus arguably isn't as efficient).
Being based on CoAP, LWM2M allows unicast and multicast, when M3DA only allows 1-to-1 communication between two nodes. This is BTW also one of the main difference between MQTT and M3DA which makes them target different use cases.

Both CoAP and LWM2M look like an interesting addition to the set of protocols we support already at Eclipse M2M, especially with Ponte arriving.
It'd be interesting if one would contribute an open-source implementation of LWM2M, that could possibly be bridged to/from MQTT or M3DA thanks to PonteŠ Also, I believe that the experience of our group with MQTT and M3DA is a great opportunity for driving improvements in the CoAP and LWM2M specs.

Others mileage may vary and I'm keen to hear what other think.

Cheers,
Benjamin--