[m2m-iwg] Fw: Two Questions on OMA if I may

Especially things like the "Device Inventory", see http://download.forge.objectweb.org/sync4j/funambol_dm_server_developer_guide.pdf but most of the concepts, just take "J2EE" are hopelessly old and outdated today.

Werner

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM, UOMo <uomo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

There seem to be not many Open Source implementations of such OMA-DM server, but that part could largely benefit from W3C Device Management and Recognition efforts like Apache DeviceMap. Helping it to find the right device capabilities.

However, DeviceMap committers don't seem overly enthusiastic about that, so it may not be too high on our agenda for now.

Werner

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM, <m2m-iwg-request@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:46:53 +0000
From: "Navarro, David" <david.navarro@xxxxxxxxx>

To: m2m Industry Working Group <m2m-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [m2m-iwg] Two Questions on OMA if I may

Hi Mimi,

About various versions of OMA-DM: v1.2 is widely deployed. v1.3 was just completed last year and there is no available implementation for now (as far as I know) but it is compatible with v1.2. v2.0 is still a work under progress. There is also OMA LWM2M which will be published in the next months. The latter may be more useful for you.

Regarding your questions:

What is OMA's standard way of handling multiple configurations (e.g. sensor config) for a certain type of hardware?
When an OMA-DM device connects to an OMA-DM server, it provides its ID, manufacturer, model and various other info contained in the MO DevDetail. Usually, the OMA-DM server knows all the devices and can determine the device characteristics from the provided infos. If you have various configuration for the same kind of devices, you must rely on other mechanism. For instance there is the DeviceCapability MO but it may be too complicated for your use case. Also you can extend the DevDetail MO to provide proprietary info to the server.

Which OMA protocol will provide the conversation between the OMA DM and the Enterprise App that is talking to the hardware? Would it be the OMA Client-side API Framework? If so, what is the mechanism for OMA to query and get the hardware configs from the board itself?
I assume the Enterprise App is running on the device. In this case, this is a bit out of scope of the OMA-DM protocol. Usually implementations use a centralized database of settings accessed by both the OMA-DM client and the managed applications. Client-side API can be used for this indeed. But in this case, the OMA-DM client is the owner of the settings database. A more efficient way would be that the OMA-DM client query the Enterprise App when it needs to access the hardware. This mechanism would be entierely dependent on your implementation. OMA-DM only standardize the interface between the client and the server (DM-1, DM-2 and DM-3 in the DM2.0 architecture diagram).

Hoping this helps,
David Navarro