Re: [m2m-iwg] M2M meta-model

Hi, all.

A few thoughts on the metamodel Wiki:

-          I would be explicit regarding date and datetime formats and wire formats.  Since one of the goals of MQTT was to be efficient in terms of bandwidth, I would explore passing UTC-based long value representations of time on the wire, either nanoseconds since XXX or milliseconds since XXX.  If you want the protocol to have a long life and broader applicability, I would support nanoseconds.  Maybe have a two-part date format – a byte indicator of type (milliseconds, nanoseconds, or ISO 8601 string) followed by the data

-          Since it is now 2012, a “location” data type is a must, with a required latitude/longitude and optional elevation, units, speed, direction

-          The history/event policy should include change-based policies (deadbanding).  These should include deadbanding by value, percentage of value, and time latency

-          Instead of “commands”, I’d suggest a more modern and broadly applicable term such as “services”, which imply bi-directionality (commands, queries, etc.)

-          If you’re going to be explicit about numeric types (integral vs floating), I would choose double and long, not double and integer, or at least support long also, as there are many use cases that require it

-          I’m not yet convinced that the device should be responsible for its ACL’s – that is a topic that should be discussed in the broader context of security

-          ACL’s should be applicable not only to data elements, but to all device functionality (data, service, events, device management tasks, etc.)

-          I’m curious why the protocol binding is at the data element level, and not the device level.  That seems odd to me.

-          Data/service/event metadata should be extensible, and devices and applications should be allowed to add their own as needed for specific use cases.  In ThingWorx, we name these a special type of metadata called “aspects”

Best,

Rick