Subject: RE: [m2m-iwg] Modifications to the Steering Committee Participation Guidelines
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:53:20 -0700
From: Rick Bullotta <rick.bullotta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Ian Skerrett' <ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the clarifications, Mike!

From: Mike Milinkovich [mailto:mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 11:20 AM
To: Rick Bullotta; 'Ian Skerrett'

Rick,

First off, please feel free to make comments like that on the list. This is a perfectly valid issue and I would write exactly this response on the public list.

Secondly, I understand your point, but the way Eclipse has always worked is that governance is based on tangible contribution, while participation is open to all. Open source is not a democracy, it is a meritocracy. We rely on transparency to ensure that any egregious behaviour is immediately noted and dealt with. This is somewhat in contrast with standards organizations, which might be more open on paper but get less done because it is a lot easier for companies with no actual investment in the work to block progress during confidential discussions.

As we've discussed, in the case of IWGs, participation does require membership, but everyone can observe and comment transparently. In the case of our open source projects, anyone can participate under our meritocratic process. Small companies who want to have an influential role should focus their attention on driving the direction of open source projects. That's where the most tangible work happens, and has the lowest barrier to entry. For companies who want to participate in the IWG, to date we have had no companies which have ever had a problem with them strongly influencing its direction whether they are not they are on the steering committee.

Let me construct a fairly tangible example using the roadmap.

  • The steering committee is going to have the authority to provide the final approval for the roadmap. It becomes official when the SC votes on it.
  • All participants in the IWG (e.g. Eclipse Members) will be able to collaborate on the actual content of the roadmap. It doesn't even go to the SC for a vote until there is a consensus that it is complete and has captured the views of all participants.
  • Anyone can join the mailing list and comment on the roadmap document and influence its evolution and content.
  • Anyone can join the Eclipse projects which are going to be doing the actual work to fulfill the vision contained in the roadmap. For that matter, the way Eclipse is set up if someone wanted to create a project which directly competed with the projects supported by the IWG, that would be OK too.

Hope that helps.