Re: [m2m-dev] M2M Name

Ed,

There is no request or requirement to change the name of plugins or the wiki.  We would just like to use the eclipse.org/m2m url.

Ian

On 10/18/2011 1:03 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
Hi Ian

The URL is not the problem.

M2M is not just an Eclipse term; I thought it was widely used in the technology space and academia, where of course M2T and T2M are also in use. However a quick Google suggests that M2M is primarily Eclipse and that while 'Model-2-Model' is the first listing for M2M on Wikipedia that is also just for Eclipse. The case for squatter's rights for common usage is therefore not strong.

However as soon as a new M2M takes over, all other Modeling M2M's will come under pressure. The container project is not a problem, amd where scoped by modeling, it doesn't need a change anyway.

One real problem is on the Wiki where M2M is prolific. A new M2M would need to provide numerous compatibility links so that all frozen references to e.g. m2m/atl are redirected.

Taking a random Wiki HIT;

What happens to "org.eclipse.m2m.atl.core.ant"

So another real problem is what happens to existing Eclipse plugin names?

I'm sorry, I can see the container project changing, (preferably to something short like MtoM, but there are too many other engrained usages that will be difficult to discontinue.

Old M2M is already out there and much of it cannot change, so a new M2M can either create chaos or choose a new name. Surely this is standard commercial practice, a new business chooses a new name. My own company when rebranding chose a duplicate and so has to make do with thalesgroup.com.

    Regards

        Ed Willink