[m2m-dev] QVT Declarative Project scope and OCL

Hi

Following the migration of the QVT models, parsing and editors from GMT/UMLX the status of the OCL editing support has been unclear and the functionality within QVT Declarative has been creeping.

Since QVT Declarative should be a well-disciplined project, the PMC should be aware of and approve of this potential creep in scope.

QVT makes extensive re-use of OCL so it is important for QVT editors to have access to OCL editors and parsers. The OCL parser is available from MDT-OCL; the OCL editor support is not available from MDT-OCL and will, now, not be available from the OCL Tools project. The QVT Declarative parsers extend the MDT-OCL LPG 1 parser, analyzer and validator. The QVT Declarative editor framework enhances IMP to support distinct AST and CST views and introduces an editor meta-model so that most of the editor functionality is model-defined. The QVT editor models extend an OCL editor model.

Provision of QVT editor functionality necessitates provision of perhaps 95% of the functionality of a purely OCL editor. The recent creep has been to include some of the missing 5% so that there is a pure OCL editor. The associated unit tests and EMOF persistence have not yet crept.

I have just started working on defining the well-formedness constraints
for QVT Core and QVT Relation in OCL and found the IMP-based OCL text editor invaluable (I had never written any OCL before). Genuine usage of the editor found many NPEs and CCEs but they were all nicely caught behind the scenes. Since QVT Declarative needs an OCL editor to develop some missing parts of the QVT specification, I submit that full OCL editor support is now within scope for QVT Declarative, at least until such time as it is appropriate to factor the OCL and AST/CST IMP editing enhancements into a separate OCL editor [project.

I'll make a separate MDT-dev posting highlighting the availability of an
OCL editor for MST.

	Regards

		Ed Willink

Back to the top