From: m2m-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:m2m-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Quentin Glineur
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 11:24 AM
To: M2M dev list
Subject: Re: [m2m-dev] QVT models component

Hi Ed,

I had a conversation with Frederic Jouault and we agreed on the following :
1) the MOF mapping support should be proposed at EMF since we think it is obviously a relevant place for it
2) we would be glad to integrate the EQVT (Base | Template | Core | Relations) work *in the Declarative QVT component*
3) when the time for our consideration of MOF serialization comes, if there is no solution from EMF, we shall think at integrating your MOF mapping support and the QVT models
In any case, it is not up to me (for the Declarative QVT team) to declare an interest for what you did in your QVT OM part.

Ed Willink a écrit :
Hi Quentin

I think you need to reread the QVTo specs.

Concerning QVTBase, for me, it is *not* relevant to all QVT languages (only to the declarative part i.e. Relations and Core)!
I think you are maybe considering the old versions of QVT (ptc/05-10-02 or even ad/2002-04-10)  but in the latest (ptc/07-07-07), any QVT OM dependency to QVTBase has disappeared!

7-7-7 in 8.2.1.1 has

refined : Transformation [0..1]
Indicates a relational transformation (see Chapter 9: Relations) being refined by this operational transformation.
relation : Relation [0..*] {composes, ordered}
The ordered set of relation definitions (see Chapter 9: Relation) that are associated with the mapping operations

so QVTo depends on QVTr.
"Freudian slip" ?

But for the text you mention, I consider it a flaw since the diagram in ptc/07-07-07 has been modified and your text remains unchanged.
(recollection of the former version, don't you think ?)

QVTO model excerpt

But to tell you the truth, I would prefer to discuss it around a beer since it has a very few to deal with m2m-dev !

I don't think a MDT-QVT-OM only user should have to include MDT-QVTR; particularly while the two MDT
projects use very different implementation approaches.

As a consequence of everything above, for me, nothing remains truly common to all QVT languages. And it can be easily divided in the relevant components.

You are using 'plug-in' and 'component' interchangeably. They are very different.

I am arguing very strongly against 4 or more QVT model components. 4 or more components requires 4 or more project plans, repositories, .... etc etc.

I am only arguing weakly against 4 or more QVT model plug-ins.

I think EQVTBase, EQVTTemplate, EQVTCore and EQVTRelations hosted in the declarative QVT component is a good solution.

For QVTR perhaps. For QVT-OM very definitely not.

One plug-in for each model seems quite clean! Doesn't it?

It's a possibility, but the plug-ins are rather small, so it is potentially an over-design.
QVTcore support is currently allocated the QVTR project, so from the point
of view of the QVT-OM project everything should be in one place,
prusumably not part of QVTR.
Why? (The QVT architecture describe a coupling, why not in a (future complete) eclipse style implementation ?)

I don't understand this comment.
 The overhead of some irrelevant modules
should be a comparatively moderate bloat for QVTR compared to many
other Eclipse bloats.

The EQVTo models were first added a couple of months ago, and then
retracted while IP issues were resolved. They returned again last night.

If the QVTo bloat is a significant problem then packaging needs serious
consideration. Perhaps a QVT infrastructure component is needed.

I find this too big for such an easy thing.

I don't understamnd what is big or easy.

M2M has already a structure in which it seems easy to incorporate your work, so what is the advantage/your interest in changing it?
Let's keep it simple!

Your simple solution is only simple for QVTR.

 But for such considerations, I would also be interested in the opinion of the project lead...
I would be reluctant to place the models within specific projects since
the models are more widely used:

a) Open Canarias currently use the models for their QVTcore and QVToperational support.
b) UMLX graphics re-uses the QVTr models, but does not (yet) re-use QVTR.

Why is it better to depend from one plug-in in UMLX rather than one plug-in in declarative QVT....?

I don't understand this comment. The whole point of this exercise is to move re-usable material out of UMLX,
which is a dark IP-suspect corner, into a well-defined sensible shared area, where it may be referenced by:

1) QVTR
2) QVT-OM
3) UMLX
4) Open Canarias

 The EMOF mapping support seems interesting but wouldn't it be relevant that you propose it to  EMF? (This is not QVT specific! Is it?)
Actually, I am seduced by the idea of Eclipse as a clean framework allowing reuse of its components, thus having every thing in its place (idem for EssentialOCL > MDT OCL).

I'm not keen on raising yet another component creation request. As a result of EclipseCon, I have far more work to do than I have time for. I do not need yet more adminstrative difficulties. You forget that you are fortunate enough to be able to pursue interesting activities almost full time. Many other Eclipse contributors work largely in their own time.

    Regards

        Ed Willink