Re: [m2e-users] m2e setting project facet

The Web Facet is set by m2e-wtp for war projects. It tries to infer the Facet version from WEB-INF/web.xml if it exists. Else it will look for servlet-api classes in the classpath[1]. For spring-boot projects, seems the servlet api is embedded into tomcat-core (I just made a quick test)

So your best option to have the version downgraded permanently to 3.0, is to add the appropriate web.xml, for now. You could still disable Java EE Integration in your maven preferences but that will likely cause other issues at deploy time.

[1] http://git.eclipse.org/c/m2e-wtp/org.eclipse.m2e.wtp.git/tree/org.eclipse.m2e.wtp/src/org/eclipse/m2e/wtp/WarPluginConfiguration.java#n243

Fred