Re: [m2e-users] eclipse lunar not copying my war's class files over

m2e is not compatible with maven-eclipse-plugin if it ever worked for you in the past, it was only by accident :)
To use your project with m2e / m2e-wtp you should remove the project from workspace, delete .project, .classpath, and .settings/ and then use File > Import > Maven > Existing Maven projects ... to import your project into Eclipse workspace. m2e will generate all necessary configuration files for you. You are also not supposed to put those Eclipse config files into Git/SVN.

Cheers,
Rafał