Re: [m2e-users] Question on new archetype creation

If you want to use Eclipse conventions instead, just create a regular Eclipse project and then right-click on project > Configure ...> Convert to Maven.

The eclipse settings will be translated as Maven configuration,in a reasonably good manner, except for project dependencies which are not.
If you want your dependencies to be converted, you can try the JBoss Tools (JBT)  Maven integration feature, which contains an experimental conversion wizard, plugged into m2e's conversion process : http://docs.jboss.org/tools/whatsnew/maven/maven-news-4.0.0.Beta1.html.

You can install JBoss Tools Maven Integration from https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/jboss-tools-kepler