Re: [m2e-users] Refreshing the target directory after a build

In short, refreshing project target/ folder on each build is too
expensive (think of single README file change, for example).

Igor

On 2013-05-02 11:42 AM, Noremac wrote:
[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_compatible_maven_plugins

Thanks, that link is perfect to get my plugin working without worrying about
the end user having to refresh the files in target.

Nope. m2e does not know about these files. And Maven does not know
either.

However, I still don't see why not have an option to have m2e refresh the
target directory. The convention of Maven is to build to the target
directory and therefore Maven knows that on a build, files generated will be
put there (from the project's compiled code to newly generated code).

Why impose the responsibility to every plugin to refresh generated files
when the convention of maven already is to build to the target directory?

It seems like it there is benefit in refreshing only the exact files as
indicated by the plugins for efficiency sake, but the cost of requiring all
plugins to add m2e specific code to a general maven plugin seems much
greater.

Perhaps you can shed some light on this.