Re: [m2e-users] M2E plugin : please convince me

The simple answer, IMHO, is that you want incremental build support.
That's what m2e tries to give you. As Maven and its plugins doesn't
support that, m2e can't delegate it. Forcing a Maven build (even if it
would just be part of the full lifecycle) would give you a very slow
Eclipse environment. That's what we had in m2e 0.x, which was not
really usable when you had a decent number of projects.

Regarding configuring the lifecycle mappings, you an now (m2e 1.2+) do
that outside of the pom if you want.

/Anders