[m2e-users] How to correctly get a checked-out project to be a Maven Java project

I'm trying to check out a project from our SVN repo that is a subfolder of a multi-module project.  A .project file wasn't stored in SVN, so when I checked it out, it created a new .project file that is almost empty.

I need to figure out what correct steps I need to follow to get Eclipse to know it's a Maven project with Java source.

I first tried the obvious, doing "Convert to Maven project".  That changes the .project file to use the Maven2 builder and nature.

It still doesn't know I have Java source files, however.

I then tried making it a "faceted" project, which allowed me to add the Java facet, which added the reference to the existing src/main/java and src/test/java trees.

At this point, I still had numerous high-level compilation errors.  Although it was now convinced it was a java project, it now apparently didn't know of its maven dependencies.  It didn't even seem like I could edit the Build Path to add "Maven Dependencies".  I couldn't figure out what "normal" step would work here.  I finally just opened up the .classpath file and manually added the incantation that I copied from an existing Maven project to define the "org.eclipse.m2e.MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER" entry.

That made all the redness go away.

Is it supposed to be this hard?

Back to the top