[m2e-users] maven 3.0.3 - performance with version ranges

maven 3.0.3 has terrible performance and memory usage when using version ranges. This has a knock on effect using m2e

It takes maven ages to update the maven dependencies.

I have a main project with a some version ranged dependencies which in turn have versioned ranged dependencies. Outside of eclipse it takes many minutes and considerable memory to get a successful build. Most time is spent resolving the dependencies.

I have also run maven offline when I know I have all dependencies in my local repo and it is still very, very slow.

In m2e (and workspace resolution on), you can check out a dependency that is very simple and this triggers a re-build of the main project. The same happens when you delete the dependent project or make pom version changes to it. So in eclipse this becomes really tedious especially if you have 4 or 5 related projects checked out. You end up sitting and waiting for your workspace to be re-built all the time.

I understand what maven is doing but I do believe it could be done a lot better when resolving version ranges.

I also know maven 3.0.3 uses aether 1.11 to so its dependency management.

I'm really keen to try and find a solution. aether 1.12 has been released. Is there anyway I can hook this into maven 3.0.3

Does aether 1.12 solve

Is there a pre-release of maven 3.0.4 out there yet that I can try and does it use aether 1.12 ?

Thanks
Paul

Back to the top