Re: [m2e-users] Does eclipse "understand" the POM?

Eclipse doesn't know anything about the pom.  You need to have m2e installed and the project configured as a Maven project.  If both of those are true then the error log probably also has an entry about a missing dependency, or alternatively you can open the pom in the pom editor and the errors should be marked there.

Matthew