Re: [m2e-users] Webby & Tomcat

Right now I'm working on a SSO functionality for my application and for that I needed a non-standard Tomcat configuration. First I need a HTTPS connector, second I need to run two instances of my application using the same codebase in my workspace but with distinct configurations (one is acting as SSO realm controller, the other as realm constituent). This is a bit similar to what you need to do.

I've configured a Webby launch configuration for my web application. This causes webby to create /target/m2e-webby/war directory and start updating it in realtime with my workspace changes. The updates happen no matter if I actually launch Webby in eclipse or not.

Then I've configured /conf/server.xml in my standalone Tomcat, using context definition from the /target/m2e-webby/container/conf/server.xml generated  by Webby. I've added all necessary configuration information to that standalone /conf/server.xml.

I'm also throwing JRebel into the mix I've added JRebel's javaagent and jpda native agent to Tomcat's /bin/setenv.sh so that I can update my Java classes on the fly without restarting Tomcat. jpda agent is needed so that I can connect with Eclipse debugger to the Tomcat instance. JRebel core & debugger plugins are needed in Eclipse to avoid workspace / VM synchronization issues.

Now, I can launch tomcat from command line, connect to it with Eclipse debugger, modify files in my workspace and instantly see the changes in the browser & step through them in the debugger. Zero turnaround, yay :)

cheers,
Rafał