Re: [m2e-users] Plugin execution not coveredby lifecycleconfiguration

It is important to understand that many maven plugins really do need a
project configurator, i.e. some java code that integrates maven plugin
behaviour in Eclipse workspace. For example, none of "mojo" enhancement
requests we received so far [1] can be supported by neither <ignore/>
nor <execute/> mapping, so improving ways to stores these mappings seems
like a wrong problem to solve.

Few other comments.

Proprietary plugins. I probably emphasize m2e marketplace catalog little
too much. Even though the catalog provides convenient way to discover
and install m2e extensions, it is not required. Proprietary plugins can
be supported by m2e extensions available from an update sites only
visible on company's intranet or come as part of a custom eclipse
distro, for example.

Legacy plugins. Regardless if maven plugin is in active development or
not, it is still necessary to understand what is the proper way to
integrate the plugin in eclipse workspace and implement it.

Combination of maven plugins. I believe each maven plugin will require
single mapping and the mapping will work for many/all versions of the
plugin. So even though there is indeed significant initial investment to
develop mappings for various maven plugins, I do not expect significant
ongoing maintenance.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced;short_desc=[mojo];short_desc_type=allwordssubstr;classification=Technology;product=m2e

Igor