[m2e-users] Using the JDT compiler?

Hi,

I'm currently developing an integration for m2e to support Object Teams.
This should be easy, given that the the OT/J compiler is derived from the
JDT compiler.

However, I had the impression that with current tool versions it isn't even
possible to use the JDT compiler via m2e?

(Note, I don't consider myself a maven guru, so all I write about maven
could be just silly)

To me, the following looked most promising:
- use maven-compiler-plugin
- set compilerId to jdt
- declare dependency on tycho-compiler-jdt
I thought I should be done.

BUT: I got "Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration:..."
OK, I found http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered
which tells me, I must define a lifecycle mapping, but has no pointer to
*how* this is done.
The best info I could find on this subject:
+
https://docs.sonatype.org/display/M2ECLIPSE/Lifecycle+mapping+configuration+priorities
  - gives a good conceptual overview, just no details at all
+ The sources of org.eclipse.m2e.jdt
  - this is the only location where I found showing an actual lifecycle
   mapping in practice

Suggestion: wouldn't you want to link the page from sonatype from
the Eclipse wiki?

Digging deeper suggests that I'm between a rock and a hard place:

1) I need a lifecycle mapping for packaging "jar" and compilerId "jdt".
2) org.eclipse.m2e.jdt provides a lifecycle mapping for packaging "jar"
  and compilerId "javac"
3) I cannot have two lifecycle mappings for "jar"
EOS

What am I missing?
Stephan

BTW: From my naive thinking I actually expected m2e to use the JDT
compiler by default. Looks funny to ship a JDT integration that works
hard to bypass the JDT, especially when this is being developed at
Eclipse.org.

Back to the top