Re: [m2e-users] Having a Bad Week - eclipse sick

On 03/24/2011 03:52 PM, Steve Cohen wrote:
and, sad to say, it's mostly because of the combination of m2eclipse,
helios, subversive and the whole fracking mess.

Eclipse has become less and less usable. I don't know who's to blame,
which plugin is the cause or whether it's the whole platform or some
combination. Rare is the day of heavy development where Eclipse doesn't
crash many times.

Every crash is different. Sometimes I have to delete the .lock file.
Other times I don't. Other times I can't do it without killing processes.

How many minutes am I losing waiting for updates from the Maven
repository. How careful I must be these days when clicking the mouse, if
you click when something else is going on, that's just asking for trouble.

And then there are things going on in the background that you don't even
know about.

I decided I may have had too many plugins installed. So I built a new
Eclipse installation using the latest and only what I really needed:

eclipse-jee-helios-SR2
m2eclipse, whatever the latest that's available today
subversive
hibernate plugin

No C, no google windowing toolkit, no perl, no python, no shell script
editor, no nothing I don't use daily. That other stuff is in my old
installation for when I need that.

Did it help? Not much. I still wait more than I used to. There are still
user interface actions that provoke crashes. I created a new
workspace,and hit one of those problems in ten minutes.

I don't know who to blame but this world has gotten out of hand in the
last six months.

I am on a Windows XP platform with 4GB RAM. Is that not enough anymore?

<end of rant>

Here is some further information that may be of interest here,

Several weeks ago after one such crash, and upon restarting Eclipse, I noticed that my "Java EE" perspective was now labeled (on the button) "<Java EE>" and my SVN Repository Exploring perspective was now labeled "<SVN Repository Exploring>". It seems to me that performance worsened significantly once this happened. I thought that something might be damaged but didn't get immediately around to investigating.

I happened for some reason shortly after making my new stripped down Eclipse installation, to go to the Open Perspective dialog where I was somewhat surprised to notice that perspectives with the original names were still available.

I closed the misnamed ones which I assumed might be defective and possibly part of the reason for at least some of my difficulties and reopened the originals and it seems that this may have helped the situation though it's too early to say for sure.

It appears that these bogus perspectives are somehow associated with the particular workspace in which they first popped up, which surprises me. I had thought that perspectives belonged to the Eclipse installation and not to workspaces. They continue to be listed on the menu Window->Open Perspective->Other with both my old and my new Eclipse installation but only for that workspace. When working in other workspaces these perspectives are not available in either installation. I just discovered that I am able to delete these items from the list of openable perspectives in Window->Preferences->Perspectives for that workspace and I have now done so.

How much memory does an unopened perspective consume?

What part of Eclipse is it that would cause it to save new (and possibly damaged) perspectives to the list of available perspectives? Is this a feature and what is its purpose?

Steve

Back to the top