Re: [m2e-dev] M2E's Maven-Runtime projects reworked

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 2:20 PM Hannes Wellmann
<wellmann.hannes1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Indeed the intention was to target Java 1.8 and it is a bug that it is actually Java-11.
> The reason for this lower target and the reason why I think that we should not require Java-17 for the Maven runtime is that it would require a Java-17 JRE to launch a Maven build using the embedded runtime.

Agreed. I think many individual developers underestimate just how
change and risk-averse much of the world is. Having been working
inside tech companies that collectively employ tens of thousands of
Java developers in the last six months, I can attest that no one
installed or wanted to install Java 17 on developer systems. It was a
mix of Java 11 and Java 8, and Java 11 was used primarily as a JDK.
Builds still targeted Java 8 in almost all cases. Blessing a new Java
version is far more complex than simply installing the latest JDK on
developer laptops.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@xxxxxxxxxxx