Re: [m2e-dev] Fetching source and/or javadoc by default

On 08/30/2016 02:42 PM, Anton Tanasenko wrote:
Hi Mickael,
AFAIK, the option only switches source/javadoc download to eager mode (download during resolution).
If disables, source download still happens lazily when you go into the class.
So user doesn't have a rich completion/hover until they opened the .class file in an editor? I don't think most user know that, and I have the impression that all users would like to have good completion immediately rather than having to open some classes to trigger good completion.
Downloading source/javadoc more eagerly and offering good code assistance ASAP is what user expect. It doesn't have to be immediate, but we could imagine a background job in charge of getting source/javadoc running just after project configuration.

Also, that doesn't answer my initial question: is there some noticeable extra-cost having those preferences turned on?
IMO, completion is something user expect an IDE to do right, immediately, without additional concerns of which file was open. Not showing good completion can be considered as a bug, and is probably worth spending a couple additional minutes on project import.
There are cases though when m2e doesn't know where to take sources from, say when you debug a web application which contains jars under WEB-INF/lib.
However, there is a plugin Igor has written which helps to tell m2e about sources in most of the cases: https://github.com/ifedorenko/com.ifedorenko.m2e.sourcelookup
Ok. Any chance this could be part of m2e so users could take advantage of it without additional knowledge/effort?

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat