Re: [m2e-dev] UpdateMavenProjectJob locking whole workspace, even while "just" downloading dependencies

Hi,

M2e reconsiders which additional projects need updating during the whole refresh job run. When a certain dependency is downloaded, all projects that depend on it are also added to the queue, widening the number of affected resources. Those projects could also cause download of other dependencies, etc. So downloads do not happen in one go.
Also, If you drop the lock during download, editing some pom file at that time could cause partially misconfigured projects later on.

If you have troubles with long update times between changing poms of different projects, I'd suggest turning workspace autobuild off, and back on after you've made all needed changes.
I've been using it quite a lot and the only thing I miss is some toolbar button to turn it on and off without using menu or hotkeys.

Hi all,

While working on some improvements on the experimental import framework ( https://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/UI/Smart_Import and https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-20343 ), I noticed that the UpdateMavenProjectJob seems to lock the whole workspace (as it's a WorkspaceJob) even when it's not doing work that requires a workspace lock. More precisely, while it's downloading a bunch of dependencies, every other workspace operation is waiting.

I would suggest that this UpdateMavenProjectJob gets split into 2 parts: 1 which is a regular job, without lock, responsible of resolving dependencies, and another part that would lock workspace, but that would only take care of updating project definition.
Does this approach seem good to you? Is this something I can put in a Jira and that could be planned for an upcoming release?

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat