Re: [m2e-dev] Wish to contribute an incubating bundle for easier import

On 13 Apr 2015, at 18:27, Mickael Istria wrote:

On 04/13/2015 06:20 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
... I think a user would just expect the right thing to happen if they used the detection mechanism ...

Defining "the right thing" is the tricky part. IMO, if someone imports a Maven project, the right thing is to enable m2e anyway. Those that don't use it are relying on an anti-pattern and should have to adapt to usage of m2e. It's also the role of the IDE to enforce good practices.

To a certain *extent*, but we also have to realise that the world is not all following good practices and there actually are completely valid usecases where using mvn eclipse:eclipse is better.

I've examples of plugin projects that have a .project and a pom.xml committed, but that don't have m2e enabled in their project description. In that case, I find it good that the .project gets modified to enable m2e.

Yes, and this will still happen since having a pom.xml indicates you are using maven and in that case m2e gets to import it.

in case your .project explicitly states 'Hey, I know i'm using maven but I prefer using mvn eclipse:eclipse' the easy import ignores it.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top