Re: [m2e-dev] Wish to contribute an incubating bundle for easier import

On 03/21/2015 11:16 AM, Anton Tanasenko wrote:
Hi Mickael,
Hi Anton,
If that API is to become a part of Platform UI, then I think there's no point in objecting to include an extension point for that in m2e.
I already foresee some necessary changes in this API. So it definitely tagets to be in Platform UI for 4.6, but probably not in its exact current state.
I took a quick look at your MavenProjectConfigurator and it checks that packaging is not 'pom'. Pom projects do need to be configured with m2e for it to be able to resolve parents, import-scoped dependencies from workspace among other things.
This is not a very optimal usage workflow IMO. In most cases, projects with packaging 'pom' don't contain much editable part, out of the pom.xml itself. They usually won't enable JDT nor any development tool, so I don't think this is good to need them to be Eclipse projects.
I understand current m2e approach is to only look at pom.xml files that are at the root of a m2e project. However, I believe it would be a better usage workflow to be able to failback to using other pom.xml files in workspace in case it cannot find a dedicated m2e project. Would it be possible for m2e to be more flexible on that part and to be able to resolve parent that are just a regular workspce resource in a non-m2e project, or even to resolve them on filesystem?

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat