Re: [m2e-dev] Support for projects that don't map correctly to Eclipse/JDT

m2e used to have such maven builder long time ago but it never worked
reliable or efficiently and we removed it. To make this work I think
entire Eclipse incremental build workspace paradigm needs to be replaced
with something else. I am not saying this is bad or wrong, but don't
think this effort belongs to m2e.

Igor

On 2014-07-07, 14:39, Mickael Istria wrote:
Hi all,

Some people who are doing tricky things with their builds, for example
using plugins that don't have an m2e connector available, have big
trouble to get their project working in Eclipse with m2e.
In case the plugins they use affect the Java build or packaging in any
way, the output of m2e (ignoring these plugins) can be different from
the output of Maven, and the mojos can't necessary be used externally
during incremental builds.
Of course, people could write a connector or have this plugin
participate to incremental build, but it is not something that seems
easy to guess or implement for most people.

So for these use-cases, it seems like a Maven-driven approach (such as
NetBeans one) would be efficient.
m2e could think of supporting these scenarios by allowing an external
Maven build as background and showing the output of Maven builds are
errors on editors. Of course, this conflicts with the initial purpose of
m2e, but this is for cases that m2e cannot handle correctly, so it would
more be an alternative to JDT builder (or an addition, with the risk of
doubling the number of reported errors).
So what would you think of having m2e:
* Provide a builder (disabled by default) that runs Maven build in
background
* Parsing the build log to create markers when errors are detected (also
disabled by default)
?

Do you think this would make sense?
Do you have any idea of how difficult this would be to set up?
Also, do you have any idea of how this could be presented to users? (I'm
thinking of an entry on the "Maven" project settings page with a
checkbox "Run Maven build in background on change" and another child one
"Show markers on editors").
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>