Re: [m2e-dev] Eclipse Code Recommenders and m2e 1.5

Hi Igor,

> Can you remind me why Code Recommenders has to use that same maven
> runtime as m2e? I thought the idea was to decouple runtime versions used
> by m2e and Code Recommenders by making runtime bundles non-singletons.
> Am I missing something?

yes, the runtime bundle is not a singleton, so could exist multiple
times. Unless you explicitly wire things together with Require-Bundle
with 1.4 or 1.5 tied down, you may end up with the wrong version, though.

So, I think we could stay with 1.4. Then packages like Luna's Eclipse
for Java Developers would ship two runtime JARs (1.4 and 1.5) but as
long as m2e explicitly require 1.5 things should work. (I'll do some
testing tomorrow.)

That being said, I'd like the idea of switching to org.eclipse.aether
rather sooner than later, but see below.

> I don't know if m2e is allowed to use Aether, I haven't not asked yet. I
> assume we can get an exception because eclipse Aether is an evolution of
> the old Sonatype code and it is used in released version of Maven, so
> m2e doesn't really have a choice here.

OK, I think this is something that needs you guys need to talk about
with the PMC.

We, who only use a few bits and pieces of Aether, could maybe live with
the 1.4 runtime, but you (for the reasons you outlined above) likely
can't. But depending on an incubator project may be a problem.

So, I think we will do one of two things:

- Require-Bundle org.eclipse.m2e.maven.runtime 1.4 as an immediate
  workaround
- Import-Package org.eclipse.aether 0.9 as soon as Aether graduates
  from the Incubator or sooner, if permitted by the PMC.

Best wishes,

Andreas

--
Codetrails UG (haftungsbeschränkt)