Re: [m2e-dev] [m2e-users] moving m2e to java7 past kepler sr0

Hey Igor,

I completely understand the reasoning for moving, but I hate to be the one
break the news but users are not by far having adopting Java 7 as their preferred
runtime.

I've kept eye on this for the last ~2+ years via the JBoss Tools usage collection and
even though Java 7 is definitely rising it is moving much slower than I think most
developers think.

The current stats from JBoss Tools last few days usage collection shows the following:

1.8.0	55	0.16%
#N/A	177	0.52%
1.5.0	363	1.06%
1.7.0	14116	41.08%
1.6.0	19648	57.18%
Grand Total	34359

Thus Java 6 is still the most dominant Java used to *run* eclipse with (at least in JBoss Tools land :)

Note, a few months ago Java 7 was just a 20% so it is growing - but I don't expect Java 7 to be *really* dominant (>80% as Java 6 was for the last 2+ years) before next year.

Thats the time where one could consider moving things like Eclipse IDE and m2e to start requiring Java 7 for core technologies like m2e.

Take this is as a friendly data-backed Please Don't exclude 50% of our users from being able to use Maven!

/max