Re: [m2e-dev] Which is the best way to programmatically edit the pom.xml

m2e uses EMF Model manipulation to actually modify the pom.xml file.
m2e-wtp uses the in-memory Maven model directly either during conversion (before the pom.xml is serialized) or to change some plugin configurations for some Eclipse-specific needs during some Maven requests.

So it all depends on the use case.