Re: [m2e-dev] Using a custom header file via the <headerLocation> results in an error

Correct. Most mojos require changes in order to participate in workspace
build. Alternatively, you can make changes to Checkstyle project
configurator to not rely on checkstyle.header.file project property but
read checkstyle plugin configuration directly instead.

Igor