[m2e-dev] Tycho & Depdendency Scopes

Hi Guys,

Our rcp-based tool makes heavy use of m2eclipse - we build .war using <package>war</package>maven projects and target j2ee-based runtimes.

However, I am convinced we will soon want to support OSGi runtimes as well and I considering we are already pretty heavily invested in maven projects already, we could just implement a new archetype that creates a project with packaging eclipse-plugin and therefore use tycho for these types of projects during build.  But that is something for the future.

At the moment though we have an API layered over the top of the maven project that exposes the project’s dependencies.  At the moment the dependency scope is hidden from this API but I am considering exposing it (to satisfy some other PM requirements – they don’t want the user of our tool to see provided libraries).   However, I trying to be mindful of the osgi use cases so I was trying to find out what scopes tycho uses when it injects the osgi manifest into the maven model.  I found this article [1] from a while back.  Igor F was the last to post to this.

My question is – is this still correct information.  Are dependencies on target platform bundles still injected as ‘system’ and cross-bundle dependencies still injected as ‘provided’?

If this is documented please just point me at the docs and I’ll go read them.  I just couldn’t find anything other than this post.

Cheers,

_Paul

[1] http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Tycho-and-Maven-Dependency-Plugin-td137614.html

Use the SOFTWARE principle in your development!

S eparate API from implementation

O SGi over J2EE

F ind simplest/smallest solution

T est drive your development

W ork out your alternatives
A ssertions and checked exceptions
R euse dont re-write, and refactor often

E ngage others early

Back to the top