[m2e-dev] Version ranges, Re: juno work heads up

On 09/23/2011 06:14 AM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:

As one implication of this change, most
of m2e extensions available from m2e discovery catalog will not install
on m2e juno m3 because they use [1.0,1.1) m2e dependency version range.
I am not sure what to do about this yet. One possibility is to generate
separate catalogs for 1.0 and 1.1 compatible extensions, but if somebody
can suggest more elegant solution I am interested to hear about it.

You could take a look at Development Conventions and Guidelines [1], there is a separate Version Numbering [2] guidelines.

It looks strange that most plugins (according to you) use such restrictive range as [1.0,1.1). According to [2]:

	The major segment number must be increased when a plug-in makes
	breaking changes to its API.

So, it should be safe for consumer of m2e use something like [1.0,2.0) or [1.1,2.0). And m2e team should take care of not breaking API when releasing 1.1 after 1.0 had been released.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Conventions_and_Guidelines
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering

--
Mykola