Re: [m2e-dev] multiple mappings for the same packaging type or maven plugin execution

On 11-02-28 04:56 AM, Milos Kleint wrote:

[snip]

This is probably the best example to walk through in full detail to
see how it works. Then see how it can be simplified most for the users
and the providers.

I think we are dealing with the potential of IDE integration and Maven
plugin integration. If we base this off the packaging type only then
we are dealing with different IDE integration trying to key off the
"war" packaging type. In this case do we expect the person who
configured the POM to know nothing, or should be expect them to put
something in the POM that would indicate the use of WTP versus Webby
(or whatever else) for example. Or try and catch this on import of
project where the person who made the POM has no idea about the
integrations that are possible.

there's 2 (slightly different) case here:
1. use has all of such integrations installed locally, the question
which one to choose (if any) is more important here
2. one or all of the integrations are only potential future options,
none are really installed.

in 1. I would as a user have expectation about one of the integrations
being primary/preferred. I don't want to decide in one and every
imported projects if it's webby or wtp. Just go with one as default and
only have some markers (pom config section?) in the projects that are
intended to be used with one of the integrations only.

when I change the preferred integration I want to be asked if all
existing projects shall be reverted to the new default (unless they have
hardcoded impl of course).

when for the first time I encounter a situation when 2 conflicting
implementations are installed on my computer, I want to know what it
means and want to pick the default.

I guess I was not able to describe it clearly enough in the wiki, but
this is exactly what I am proposing we do and I used the same arguments
to come to this proposal.

[snip]

Igor

Back to the top