From: lyo-dev <lyo-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Andrii Berezovskyi
Sent: Thursday, 16 September 2021 14:29
To: Lyo project developer discussions <lyo-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lyo-dev] CVE-2021-39239: Apache Jena: XML External Entity (XXE) vulnerability

Yes Jad,

We need to solve the OpenAPI library version upgrade in order to be able to go to the newest version of Jersey.

However, Jena migration to 4.0 is also coupled with a migration to Java 11. There was no real reason to do this in Jena 4.0 or 4.1 but as you see below, 4.2 finally adds support for JSON-LD 1.1 and that required Java 11. I will check if there is a way to reduce the impact of this CVE by manually managing the version of the relevant Jena dependency or if it's a bug in the Jena code directly.

We made a commitment not to break Java 8 compatibility in Lyo 4.x. But this may mean that Lyo 5.0 may be released sooner rather than later if we are unable to effectively mitigate CVE risks for reasons outside of our control.

–Andrew.