[lyo-dev] Lyo 2.3.0 roadmap

Hello Lyo users,

Now let’s discuss the future releases. In particular, I want both Lyo developers and users to clearly communicate what is needed more than other features and what work would you be ready to contribute your efforts to.

Lyo 2.2 will be the last release to use Jena 2. We have patches for Jena 3 migration ready for Lyo 2.3. They come with a breaking package change from "com.hp.jena" to "org.apache.jena". If this will be a major issue for you, we might backport some of the future 2.x changes to 2.2.x. I would expect somebody to step up to cherry-pick 2.x patches from Gerrit on to the 2.2.x branch. I want to note that the main contribution of the upcoming 2.3 release — the shape validation library by Yash Khatri — requires Jena 3.

Now to the ideas on where to put our energy into:

0. Improve the wiki/site. I suggest moving to MkDocs, it will allow to combine the site and the wiki. I make a prototype: https://github.com/berezovskyi/lyo-docs deployed at https://berezovskyi.github.io/lyo-docs/. Would you like such a move? Would you be ready to contribute the content (mostly converted MediaWiki to Markdown via the Pandoc tool with fixes to formatting and removing/fixing outdated statements)?
1. I remember that Jean-Luc had some issues he faced in his regular interaction with the Lyo framework.
2. Nick Crossley has submitted a few patches that we will work on to get merged.
3. I wanted to refactor the Jena model helper to provide better abstraction among other things.
4. We are working to contribute a TRS server library as well as a TRS client app to Lyo (most of the code was developed by Omar Kacimi).
6. Add OSLC 3 to Lyo support, see Jim’s previous email today about Lyo.RIO repositories.
7. We have been planning to mavenize the Toolchain Designer using Tycho and Acceleo maven build plugins for a while and would love to make that happen! Any experience with these questions is welcome.
8. We should add code quality check like SonarQube or Codacy for our GH repos (lyo-store is experimenting with Codacy now).
9. Would someone be interested to work with me on creating a maven archetype for a Lyo adaptor in order to allow quick bootstrapping of the OSLC adaptors?

There might be other things, but even from this list, you can see that this is quite an amount of work already and we need to prioritise it properly.

I invite all of you to participate in defining the Lyo 2.3+ roadmap: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-IQ6XfgZFkiqKo0qLhBS98l8N_0JAkFlo34OzUngIZ4 Do not forget to indicate if you have a patch/ready to help with the code.

Finally, I would love to hear about projects that using Lyo. Just open a bug on https://github.com/OSLC/awesome-oslc describing your project (link to the code source or the docs for the OSLC endpoints are preferable) and how it uses Lyo and we will figure out a way to promote it! Otherwise, you can reach out to me, Jim, or Jad personally!

–Andrew.

P.S. I had to help many people this summer to get going with Eclipse contribution process & Gerrit as well some moments where more advanced knowledge of Git was needed. I am glad to have a telco with you and help you with that if you already have a change to Lyo that you have made on a clone of the Lyo repo and want to contribute but got stuck with the process.

Back to the top