[lts-iwg] The NIH Software Discovery Index | We invite your comments - a system for linking software, publications and users in the research community.

FYI - The report introduced below might be of interest for some of
you. The ideas presented are not limited to biosciences and may serve
input for other scientific disciplines and software in general.

Greetings Everyone,

On behalf of a number of software developers, end-users, publishers
associated with the scientific analysis community, we would like to
invite all of you to review a document generated as a result of a NIH
BD2K supported meeting that focused on the opportunities and
challenges of developing a software management ecosystem that could be
valuable for finding and linking software, publications and users in
the research community. You may be also be aware of a related project,
the Data Discovery Index, which will be fully integrated with the
software system.

The product of this workshop and the subsequent discussion is a
document which details the opportunities and challenges of developing
a Software Discovery Index that would enable researchers to find,
cite, and link software and analysis tools publications and
researchers. To ensure that the opportunities, challenges, and
recommendations detailed in the document reflect the breadth of
experience from the community, we are seeking your input.  In
conjunction with related efforts already under way at NIH, including
the development of a Data Discovery Index, the final document will be
used by the NIH Office of the Associate Director (ADDS) to inform a
strategy for the development of a Software Discovery Index and a
commons ecosystem for data, software, and resources.

We need your help to ensure that this critical task is achieved: to
guide the development of a community based system that gives credit
and acknowledgment to the builder and maintainers of the software we
all depend on! We invite all users, software developers, publishers,
and software repository administrators to review our report prior to
its submission to the NIH. Please complete your review and post
comments by November 1, 2014.

The link to the report is: http://softwarediscoveryindex.org

On behalf of the organizing committee, thank you for your assistance!

Organizing Committee

Owen White
Director of Bioinformatics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, School
of Medicine
Co-Chair of NIH BD2K  Software Index Workshop

Asif Dhar
Principal & Chief Medical Informatics Officer
Co-Chair of NIH BD2K  Software Index Workshop

Vivien Bonazzi
Senior Advisor for Data Science Technologies (ADDS)
Co-Chair of BD2K Software and Methods Group

Jennifer Couch
Chief, Structural Biology and Molecular Applications Branch
NCI Co-Chair of BD2K Software and Methods Group

Chris Wellington
Program Director (NHGRI)

Back to the top