[lts-iwg] Minutes from LTS IWG Planning Session - Oct 6

Attendees:  Jochen Krause, Andrew Ross, Pat Huff, Lisa Lasher
Purpose: Planning for LTS IWG steering committee prep session next week, and for LTS sessions at EclipseCon Europe

Schedule a LTS IWG Steering Committee prep meeting for next Thursday.  Andrew will put the list of Steering Committee members on the LTS wiki page.  Current members:

  • Andrew Ross - Eclipse
  •  Pat Huff -IBM
  • Thomas Rastetter - SAP
  • Paul Lipton - CA
  • Jochen Krause - Innoopract
Thoughts for steering committee meeting:
  • Anything that we want to announce in Ludwigsburg should be covered in the steering committee first.
  • We want to do an Eclipse Foundation announcement for LTS.  We'll want an endorsement statement from the companies participating.
  • How do we recruit participants - service providers and consumers?.  We've had some response, but not as much as we would like, have had some disappointing declines.  Do we have any premium members yet?  Yes, a few.
  • Messaging - we're selling insurance, peace of mind.  Providing access to organizations selling support and maintenance plans.
  • In EclipseCon LTS session we will want to have a presentation and open discussion.  Andrew has one he can trim down for an overview, and then would like testimonials for why it is important for companies to participate.   Need a call to action at the end for how to get involved.  It's usually a lengthy process to get a company to commit.  Andrew has talked to about 30 that are interested as consumers, but it will take more time to sign them up.   Everyone on the IWG needs to consider themselves an ambassador.

To be a provider - what is the cost to them?
  1. Participating member - just want to consume the binaries.  Not maintenance committers at this level
  2. Access to the  build forge - build on demand.   For companies who are supporting themselves or want to provide support
  3. Premium - have a voice in priorities, direction of LTS

Responses to Jochen Krause's blog (So Long and Thanks for All the Fish)  - some people want to just put money down for a particular bug - take up a collection, and when there is enough support, some provider will sign up to make the fix - a kick-starter system   We may see multiple business models evolve.  .

Common Build Infrastructure - you don't have to be a member of LTS to take advantage of CBI.  Needs to be outside the LTS wall to build community support.

Agenda for Steering Committee prep meeting (Oct 11)
  • Finalize agenda for open session in Ludwigsburg on Oct 24
    • Andrew - Overview of LTS
    • Steering committee member companies talk about why LTS is important to them
  • Start to lay out the next steps for LTS
  • Discuss the membership criteria for runtime projects (see below)

Eclispe runtime projects - runtimes often don't participate in the Eclipse release train, because they don't install into the IDE.  But we have made participation in the release train the default criteria for being part of LTS.  We already have a couple projects in this situation - they are asking to be part of LTS but don't meet the release train criteria.  So we need to relook at the requirements for participation.  Could we allow projects to self-select, and they can define the criteria by which they qualify?    Jochen will draft a proposal to bring to the steering committee.

One reason that we aren't getting a lot of traction yet is that we are targeting LTS for Juno, which is relatively new and in support for several more years, and a lot of consumers haven't even adopted Juno yet - so they don't feel any pain yet.

LTS meeting agenda wiki page:
The page is started here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/LTS/SC_1_Agenda

Lisa Lasher
Release Manager, IBM Eclipse Software Development Kit (IES)
(919) 254-0057  (tieline 8-444-0057)

Back to the top