[lts-iwg] LTS IWG Update for April 18, 2012

Hi Everyone,

There has been much progress for the Long Term Support (LTS) program at Eclipse on many fronts. This email is intended as a quick update and map to various resources to find more information.

In no particular order:

1) Draft charter

A draft of a charter for LTS is available for review.

If you have any feedback or suggestions, please feel free to reply to this list to share them.

2) Initiating members

As per our industry working group process, we require a strategic member to initiate an IWG. We're fortunate to have IBM, SAP, CA Technologies, and EclipseSource as initiating members for LTS. Thank you to each organization for supporting this important initiative.

3) Chairs

Identifying the chair for the IWG is another important requirement as per our process. Pat Huff from IBM, and Jochen Krause from EclipseSource/Innopract have tentatively agreed to be the inaugural co-chairs of the LTS IWG. Thank you both.

4) Project LTS readiness definition

Working with a large team from a diverse set of projects and organizations, we have created a draft LTS-Readiness definition. This is a set of requirements that defines whether a project is ready to be included into the LTS forge or not.

5) Eclipse platform work

We have done much work with the Eclipse platform to help it move towards achieving LTS-readiness. Notable in this work is the Common Build Infrastructure (CBI) build for the Eclipse platform. This work has enabled someone with very little prior experience with the Eclipse platform to build it for themselves in minutes. Special thanks to Paul Webster, David Williams, Igor Federenko, and Thanh Ha for their work here.

6) Release engineer

Speaking of Thanh Ha, I'd like to introduce him as the Eclipse Foundation's new release engineer. It's coming up on two months since he started but you'd never know given how fast he's learned so many things and contributed to the CBI & LTS programs.

7) LTS Forge

One of the important things Thanh has done is set up the LTS forge. We have a number of important project building regularly in that forge already. The projects include the many components of the Eclipse platform, CDT, EGit, JGit, and Mylyn. We will be adding other projects as they are ready to be included.

We recognize many projects are focused on Juno M7 & SR0 right now. More on LTS-Readiness soon.

Best regards,

--
Andrew Ross
Director, Ecosystems